The area of cyber security has rapidly become one of the most in-demand professions worldwide. To ensure the continued success and growth of one’s business, it is now more crucial than ever to prevent thieves or computer hackers from stealing one’s data. Cyber security is a discipline and body of knowledge consisting of the technologies, methods, and processes used to safeguard networks, systems, devices, and data against cyber threats, cyberattacks, and unauthorized access. Information technology security is another phrase that is sometimes used interchangeably with cyber security; specialists in this sector are generally referred to as cyber security experts.
Let us examine the roles and salaries of some of the profiles:
Malware, harmful flaws, and efforts to infiltrate a network are all things that a network security engineer looks out for. It is the responsibility of a network security engineer to secure an organization’s network security by monitoring any behaviors that appear to be suspicious and developing robust settings for systems in order to protect against any future IT risks.
Responsibilities of a Network Security Engineer:
- Develop and configure firewalls and IDSs to protect user data and privacy.
- Update security software and hardware.
- Plan and monitor network infrastructure.
- Set safety standards.
- Install VPC, web, and email security devices.
- Investigate harmful behavior using security and forensics.
In India, the yearly compensation for the position of network security expert may range anywhere from 3.0 Lakhs to 12.5 Lakhs, with an average annual income of 5.8 Lakhs.
Testing a company or organization for potential security flaws is the job of a Cyber Security Analyst. They do penetration testing in order to locate the vulnerabilities that exist inside the corporate network. These vulnerabilities can be exploited to get unauthorized access to the system.
Responsibilities of a Cyber Security Analyst:
- Analyze security flaws and attack patterns.
- Fix failing firewalls and encryption.
- Keep current with cyber security issues and minimize them.
- Watch for anything odd, unlawful, or unapproved.
- In case of a security compromise, ensure you have a disaster recovery plan.
In India, the yearly compensation for the position of Cyber Security expert Analyst may range anywhere from 3.0 Lakhs to 10.0 Lakhs, with an average annual income of 5.0 Lakhs.
As implied by their title, security architects are responsible for guaranteeing the integrity of an organization’s hardware and software. The responsibility of security architects is to design computer systems that are resistant to damaging attacks. To achieve this objective, security architects must have a thorough grasp of the tactics employed by attackers to gain unauthorized access.
Responsibilities of a Security Architect:
- Design the organization’s security system architecture.
- Create security policies, standards, and procedures.
- Maintain data integrity throughout installation, upgrade, and removal.
- Examine spending to stay within budget.
- Employees should be taught about cyber security hazards and remedies.
In India, the yearly compensation for the position of security expert architect may range anywhere from 13.6 Lakhs to 45.0 Lakhs, with an average annual income of 24.2 Lakhs.
In the event that there is a breach in the computer system’s security, a cyber security manager will plan and devise efficient remedies. They convey their findings to management and personnel who are concerned in order to facilitate the implementation of security measures inside the system.
Responsibilities of a Cyber Security Manager:
- When IT security issues arise, make a strategy and implement it.
- Monitor the security policy implementers.
- Hire workers.
- Budget for business security. Evaluate and configure new software and tech
A Cyber Security Manager with 4-9 years of experience makes an average pay of 24.3 Lakhs per year, while a Senior Cyber Security Manager with 10-20 years of experience earns an average compensation of 26.3 Lakhs per year.
Both of these positions are considered to be in the middle of their careers.
Chief Information Security Officer is the most senior job in the world of cyber security. In this role, one may promote the company’s vision and goals. The organization’s digital assets and the secure flow of data between its clients and consumers are safeguarded through the effective application of cyber security laws and regulations.
Responsibilities of a Chief- Information Security Officer (CISO)
- You’re accountable for company compliance.
- Get policy, guidelines, and budget approval.
- Top management must approve suggested policies, budgets, and guidelines.
- Plan risk-management frameworks
- Current and future risks and hazards
- Ensure personnel and infrastructure have the appropriate tools, knowledge, and resources.
- Design the security system to respond quickly to attacks, recover from them, and remain resilient.
The compensation for the position of expert Chief Information Security Officer in India may range anywhere from 16.8 Lakhs to 97.7 Lakhs, with an annual income of 35.0 Lakhs serving as the national average.
Ethical hackers, as their name suggests, participate in hacking in an “ethical” way, which shows that they have the organization’s authorization to do so. In this scenario, the objective is to identify the system’s weaknesses in order to get access. This allows the firm to take care before a thread becomes a possible hazard.
Responsibilities of an Ethical Hacker
- Penetration testing identifies system weaknesses.
- Open and closed ports are scanned.
- To hack like a pro, you must circumvent IDS and IPS (IPS).
- Implement cyber security procedures to discover holes a hacker may attack through network sniffing, wireless encryption, or social engineering.
- Identifying security weaknesses is crucial for achieving high-standard encryption across the organization.
Entry-level professionals in ethical hacking earn a salary of 501,191 INR (Indian Rupees) a year on average in India.
Rather than being hired full-time by any one of these enterprises, a Cyber Security Consultant often works on a contract basis for a number of different companies. Consultants may be found in any area, including the cyber security sector. Their responsibility is to prevent dangerous hackers from obtaining access to vital company resources.
Responsibilities of a Cyber Security consultant
- Each IT project involves careful planning, thorough research, and a secure design.
- Verify the present system’s authentication and security needs.
- An investigation of any possibly detrimental security occurrences.
- Verify that the client’s security patches are updated.
- To avoid cyberattacks, protect networks, data, software, and devices using the most effective approaches.
In India, the yearly income for the position of cyber security consultant ranges from 4.2 lakhs to 25.3 lakhs, with an average annual salary of 9.9 lakhs.
Also read: How Can Cloud Migration Help Financially?
Note: All the figures listed above are from sources on the internet and AmbitionBox.